and for old men
marika
2008-01-18 05:51:38 UTC
trying to repost this didn't work the first time
My first Poast as Marika January 7, 1999 (I think this was the first)
excerpt
Boris Bacynskyj died this week, no one can quite find out how or why.
He was in his late 50s.
he is the cousin referred to
I memorialized him here with some of my first poasts.
Here's a copy of his book
http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Chess-II-David-Welsh/dp/0697099113
there's lots of other links about him on the net
=======================================
Speaking of religion, this is Christmas and I feel somewhat sad,
because I have no family nearby. I made a traditional Christmas
eve dinner, I called out the forces of nature and invited the
ancestors to dine with me. Tomorrow, friends will take me for
Christmas dinner and a play, so I won't be too lonely.
I'm sorry if I sound a little disorganized here, but I am so
terribly missing my family.
I just got a Christmas card and my friend put in a Japanese
inscription. That is one of the languages I have not yet
studied. It may be a while before I get the translation
because there are no Japanese in the city where I am now
residing. I am thinking of xeroxing it and sending it to my
American cousins in Cambridge. One is a social worker in a
South East Asian nonprofit organization. Obviously, Lao,
Cambodian and Vietnamese are not the same. Still, she might
just know someone who knows the language. In addition, her
brother Boris might, too, because he spent Peace Corps stint
in the Far East. He is achessmaster who many years back
worked on one of the firstchesscomputer programs. He also
lived in perhaps Syracuse, maybe Albany, where he edited achessmagazine.
He abandoned that comfort to play "pick up"chesson Harvard Square.
Speaking of coumputers, I don't know very much about them.
I wish I understood what those lines with x mean. I read
somewhere that x-face is to remind women to put on their makeup
before they write email. I don't believe this. It sounds like
a joke.
In addition, I wonder what it means when someone says at the top
of the post in the headers: X-marks-the-Spot. I must learn a
great deal more about computing.
I also was wondering if anyone out there is a numerologist. I
wonder if believers in numerology will not read the posts that
have numbers of lines that do not fit with their lucky number
for the day. I saw someone, I do not remember where, post a
message about the New Year, and it had exactly 99 lines it.
That was very clever.
Happy Christmas everyone
Marika
***************************
EVERYWHERE
May Language Kiss Your Hearts With Poems,
And Every Blessing On This Earth Be Yours,
And Those From Other Worlds As Well...
Alan Kaufman
I would only agree to play if we drew random numbers, and kept only that
many random pieces and arranged them randomly on the board according to
yet
another random numbering system. Making up the random numbering system
was
the only way I could keep my mind on the game.
My cousin used to make up many variance. For example, when he was in
Southeast Asia during Vietnam war, chess were played as if there were no
war and all the pieces cooperated.
Chess cereal. Now there is a great name for cereal, especially cos
those
little pillows in the party mix look like mini chess boards.
Yes when I see this cereal I think - Oh ChEKA the cereal of secret
police.
I don't know how to make Italics, and I don't like these American quotes
so I will make quotes with commas.
,,Come with the supernova, l'il sister"
Worked a long time to jump ,,this" bad.
And she sashays, she struts, she levitates...
Patricia Smith
There might be someone out there that still remembers him
mk5000
"Having been there in those conditions, and having taken the possibly
bold step of removing my feet from the deck, I have had the chance
to ?" Levitate "? inside a G-pod for what seamed like a considerable
time. My point here being, that when so isolated ?? from regular ??
gravitional forces { while levating }? time ( seamed to me to slow )
{visual precption become acute} < and tranquility prevail >
[ in what otherwise was a nontranquil surroundings ] "--Manley Hubbell
marika
2008-01-25 00:11:23 UTC
*Boris Baczynskyj ***
*Visitation:*
Saturday, January 26, 2008
1:00 PM until 2:00 PM
St. Michael the Archangel Ukrainian Catholic Church
Jenkintown, Pa 19046
*Service:*
Saturday, January 26, 2008
2:00 PM
St. Michael the Archangel Ukrainian Catholic Church
Jenkintown, Pa 19046
Boris Baczynskyj, an internationally known FIDE Chess Master, popular
local
chess instructor and journalist died suddenly on January 16, 2008.
He was 62. Mr. Baczynskyj was born in Vienna, Austria to the late Dr.
Wolodymyr and Maria Sodomora Baczynskyj. He was a long time resident of
Philadelphia, attending grammer school and graduating from St. Joseph's
Preparatory School. He went on to earn a B.A. in Political Science from
Yale
University.
After graduation, Mr. Baczynskyj served with the Peace Corps in Thailand
and
later remained in Cambodia, Southeast Asia, working as a freelance
journalist for UPI, *Far Eastern Economic Review* and other publications.
After Cambodia was overrun by the Khmer Rouge, Mr. Baczynskyj returned to
the U.S. and immersed himself in the world of chess, competing actively in
national and international tournaments.
At one point, he was the third ranked chess player in the US. He also
served
as editor of one of the major national chess publications, *Chess Life*
and
was Chess Advisor for the world's largest manufacturer of computer chess
products, Fidelity International. He became a well-known chess tutor,
instructor, and commentator. He co-authored *Computer Chess II* with
Charles
Welsh, (Dubuque, IA; WM. C. Brown, 1985), annotated the games of various
Chess Masters, including Bobby Fischer, and worked on the the 3rd *Sargon
theoretical and instructional articles on chess and computerized chess.
As a chess instructor, he tirelessly taught and promoted chess, especially
to young children in private and public schools. Boris provided many
simultaneous chess exhibitions in venues such as schools, shopping malls
and
public fairs. He deeply cared about his young students and celebrated
their
achievements, such as during the Philadelphia Schools (Benjamin Franklin
High and Vaux Junior High) chess teams' chess trip to Yugoslavia.
During the early years of Ukrainian independence, Mr. Baczynskyj again
worked as a journalist for a few years in Kyiv, Ukraine and his articles
were published by Intelnews, Cox Publishers and The Ukrainian Weekly. He
returned to Philadelphia and continued teaching, writing, lecturing and
chess promotion. In Philadelphia, he was an active member of the Franklin
Mercantile Chess Club.
In his youth, Mr. Baczynskyj belonged to the Ukrainian Scouting
Organization
"Plast" and was a member of its "Burlaky" fraternity. He was active in
Ukrainian-American Chess life, belonging to the USCAK Chess Club and
participated in Ukrainian-American tournaments, winning championships
several times.
His personal values were reflected in his life-long promotion of civil
rights. During his college days, he participated in several protests
supporting racial integration and was once even caught up in a mass arrest
during a protest march in St. Petersburg, Florida. He promated the concept
of "Equal rights for all" to his community by translating "We Shall
Overcome" into Ukrainian. Surprisingly, it became the theme song at the
Scout's East Chatham "Plast" camp that summer. His anti-war convictions
during the Vietnam era led him to organize a march on the American Embassy
in Thailand to protest Nixon's secret bombing of Cambodia.
He will be sorely missed.
May he rest in Peace!
Funeral services will be held on Saturday (January 26) at 2:00 PM with
family greeting friends at 1:00 PM at St. Michael's Ukr. Catholic Church,
Jenkintown, Pa. Services to be followed by burial at St.
Mary's Cemetery, Elkins Park, Pa
USCAK-CHESS (Ukrainian Sports Federation of USA & Canada) \>
marika
2008-01-25 00:12:28 UTC
*Boris Baczynskyj ***
*Visitation:*